Friday, December 23, 2011

The Eleventh Day of Christmas

On the Eleventh Day of Christmas PDR gave to Shakiera:

A fun pair of leather earrings from Melody's Addiction!
How fun are these ruffled earrings?  The bright color and fun shape can't help but make you smile and we are delighted to be able to share them with you!  Melody's Addiction has an assortment of leather ruffle earrings and other fun and funky pieces. Want to know more or wear you can find them?  Check out our interview questions below or visit their shop on Etsy to check our their fabulous creations online:

When did you start making jewelry?

I first started designing jewelry in high school. Then I took a long break while working in the non-profit and community organizing world.  I hadn't made jewelry in years and then picked it up again about 6 years ago. Melody's Addiction emerged as a creative outlet and side-hustle about 5 years ago. Melody's Addiction really took a leap when I became one of the opening vendors for the, then brand new, Brooklyn Flea back in 2008. I've been a regular vendor with the Flea ever since and it's been a great space to connect face-to-face with customers and other designers. 



What inspires you?
I gather random materials from various sources in New York and also from travels abroad. When I was working in the garment district I loved the leather stores, the fabric stores, the trim and lace stores....entire stores dedicated to buttons and buckles.  One of my latest collections is inspired by Alexander McQueen’s Savage Beauty Exhibit that was at the Met this summer. Leather, feathers, fabric , lace fashioned into fun earrings! Love it all. My favorite part about designing and making jewelry is the whimsy and endless opportunity for invention. It's sole purpose is adornment and beauty.



Where are you based?

I live and work in Brooklyn and I am a regular vendor at the Brooklyn Flea in Fort Greene (though mostly during the outdoor season April-November).  I do other markets occasionally like BUST Craftacular and Renegade Craft Fair. Year round you can visit me online at my Etsy Shop www.melodysaddiction.etsy.com and my Melody’s Addiction Facebook Page. (please join!!). Check in with my blog for upcoming sale dates at www.melodysaddiciton.com.


Do you have a favorite piece of jewelry?

I love the simplicity of the leather hoop earrings which come in many colors, some with funky cut-out shapes. They're big, bold, colorful and light weight! All the elements you want to make your entire outfit pop.

Thanks, again, to Melody's Addiction for allowing us to share their work with you!  Congratulations, Shakiera!

XOXO
Jen & Saira

No comments:

Post a Comment